Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Metaphor

Catholics versus Jews

In the Fourteenth century, the Pope decrees that all Jews living in Italy must convert to Catholicism, or be thrown out of the country.
A huge outcry erupts and it is decided that a religious debate between the leaders will decide the fate of the Jews.
The Pope and an aged and wise Rabbi meet, neither understands their language, so it is decided to have a silent debate, using gestures.
Firstly the Pope raises his hand and shows three fingers
the rabbi responds with one finger.
Secondly the Pope waves his finger around his head
the Rabbi responds by pointing to the ground.
Finally the Pope brings out a communion wafer and some wine.
The Rabbi pulls out an apple.

With that the Pope declares himself beaten, and the Jews are allowed to stay in Italy.

Later on the Pope meets his cardinals to explain what happened
The Pope said "First I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity, he held up one finger to remind us that one God is common to both our beliefs
Next I waved my hand to show that God is all around us, he responded by pointing to the ground to show that God was here with us, and finally I brought out wine and wafers to show that God absolves us of all our sins, he produced an apple to remind us of the original sin, with that I realized he had won the argument"
The Rabbi returns to his people and is asked how he had won

The Rabbi replies "Not got a clue, first he told me we had three days to get out of Italy, I gave him the finger. Next he tells me the country would be rid of Jews, and I told him we were staying right here"
What then? He was asked, "Who knows, he took out his lunch, and I took out mine"

*****

There's story in there somewhere ...

No comments: