Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rain water helped NC woman survive ravine

A North Carolina woman said today (Wednesday) she survived five days trapped in a wrecked truck at the bottom of a ravine by squeezing water from a leaf and thinking about her family.

Amber Pennell said on NBC's "Today" show that she doesn't remember the crash Aug. 20 on U.S. Hwy. 321 in Lenoir, in rural western North Carolina, or much about the five days she spent trapped in the truck, covered by thick kudzu vines.

Pennell said she reached out a broken window to squeeze water from a leaf and recalls hearing helicopters as about 100 searchers looked for her.

The 21-year-old woman was rescued after searchers checked the location again, saw faint tire tracks and then saw part of her truck.

Pennell is recovering from a broken leg and broken arm and other injuries.

She sat in a wheelchair during the interview and wore a pink cast on her right forearm.

She said thoughts of her two children and her husband buoyed her during the ordeal.

Pennell also said she doesn't remember going off the road as she drove home after a shift at a restaurant.

"I know my children kept me going," she said. "My children mean everything to me. There's no doubt in my mind they are what kept me going and my husband kept me going."

Pennell also said she hopes to be walking soon.

"I know I will again, I just don't know how long it will take," she said. "I'm giving it a week, that's my goal, but you know, it could be a lot longer."

No comments: