Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, November 19, 2010

Dog saved owner from life-threatening asthma attack

A hero dog saved the life of his owner after she had collapsed at her home, by pressing her medical alert alarm button. Ben, a three-year-old fox terrier-chihuahua cross, repeatedly stepped on the button with his paw, after Gina Barratt, 62, was struck down with a severe asthma attack at home and became very ill. Mrs Barratt, of Bideford, Devon, was alone in her home and unable to reach the phone.

Because of her poor health she had an emergency alarm button installed which is monitored at a control center in Sidmouth. But following the attack she was too weak to untangle it from her clothing. Mrs Barratt said: 'That particular day my alarm button got stuck inside my fleece, but Ben is so wonderful. He knows when I am having an attack and he jumped up and pressed it.'


'Thank goodness I am here to talk about it. When I'm that ill I cannot even get to the phone. I keep wondering what would have happened if I hadn't had the button and Ben there.' The alarm button call was picked up by Tracey Morgan at the Home Safeguard call center in Sidmouth, which is linked in to the Red Button Tarka Emergency Helpline.

Karen Witney, manager of the Red Button Tarka Emergency Helpline, said: 'It is a very satisfying job and each time I hear a story of how the button has helped someone I am delighted. This really is a fantastic story and I am so pleased that Mrs Barratt is with us to thank Ben and Tracey today.' Mrs Barratt took Ben along to the Home Safeguard call center in Sidmouth to thank those who had helped her. She added: 'Tracey was a gem and so once I was well enough I wanted to come here in person with Ben and give her my thanks.'

No comments: