Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hero dog drags owner hit by lightening home to safety

The Mayor of Redruth owes his life to his "best friend" and a pair of wellington boots after being struck by lightning. Ian Thomas made his usual early morning trip to feed his animals last Monday when he was thrown violently to the ground. Stunned and lying in agony, he had to grab hold of Monty, his large black schnauzer, who helped him struggle back to the house. His wife Sharen rushed him to hospital, fearing he had suffered a stroke or a heart attack.

An hour or two later and after a series of check-ups, including an MRI scan and an ECG, he was diagnosed as having been struck by lightning. He said: "I was walking along carrying a metal bowl when I had what seemed like an explosion in my head and at the same moment I heard the dog scream. I saw my legs thrown into the air in front of me and I was thrown into the air. It didn't make any sense. Some time later I came to my senses and found myself curled up in a ball on the ground. I knew I wasn't dead because the pain was so bad."

Photo from SWNS.

Mr Thomas often hangs on to Monty when walking up steep hills. So when he said, "Help me, help me", the dog knew what to do. I grabbed hold of him and stumbled home," said Mr Thomas. Mrs Thomas, who is trained in first aid, knew her husband had left the house at 6.45am. He arrived home at 7.05am so she guessed he must have been unconscious for between ten and 15 minutes. She said: "I thought he had had a heart attack. I didn't want to worry our son Lewis, and I knew it was important for Ian to get help within the hour.

"The consultant said that if he hadn't been wearing wellies, it could have been a different story." Mr Thomas spent four days in the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, where he said the treatment was "outstanding". He did feel a bit like an exhibit, though, as medical students and even the ward cleaner wanted to hear his story. All he has to remind himself of the incident are marks on his head and hip – entry and exit marks – and a letter from his consultant signing him off work because of "lightning strike".

No comments: