Saturday, February 2, 2013
From Bomb Victim to Public Garden
Many historic buildings in London were damaged or destroyed by German bombs in World War II. Some were later demolished, and some were repaired and restored. An exception was the church of St. Dunstan-in-the-East. Originally built around 1100, only the north and south walls and the tower remained after the Blitz. Too historic to tear down and too expensive to rebuild, it was designated a public park in 1967. Since then, lovely trees and foliage have grown up, making the church a peaceful contemplative place to stop and think, but it still serves as a monument to the destruction of war. See more pictures at Urban Ghosts .