Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Thursday, August 14, 2014

Zookeeper awarded masters degree for research into sea lion whiskers

A zookeeper in Blackpool has been awarded a masters degree for her research into sea lion whiskers.
Alyx Milne, 27, combined her work at Blackpool Zoo as an animal trainer/presenter, with her studies at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Her dissertation on the motor neuron abilities of sea lions' whiskers earned her a distinction from the university. Ms Milne said sea lions' whiskers were very sensitive and could help them to find fish.
She said their whiskers picked up vibrations in the water and air, leading them to food. Ms Milne said: "Working with the sea lions at Blackpool Zoo has been a major part of my research and I'm so pleased I have something so great to show for it." She is now aiming for a PhD relating to marine mammals.

1 comment:

Most Dance said...

Congratulation to Alyx! I am so proud of people who work with animals and are even able to write a dissertation because it seems unreal for me as I usually apply to essay help service . I hope that one day I will be able to work with these amazing creatures too. It is my dream. I have heard that playing with sea animals can treat and I believe that I will be able to help sick children so maybe it will become the topic of my dissertation.