Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Monday, June 26, 2017

When Did You Know She Was "The One"?

The question was, Married men of Reddit: what moment with your future wife made you think "Yup, I'm asking this girl to marry me."? The thread is full of love stories that show how consideration and self-sacrifice mean so much more than looks, money, or fun. Sully1102's story is touching.
Things were going really well, and I was saying to myself "If this keeps up, I think next summer I'll pop the question."
Then, my mother had a stroke. We were all sitting in the waiting area outside the ICU, because only 2 people were allowed in at a time. It was my now-wife's birthday, and a Wednesday, and she didn't hesitate to take the day off to sit with me and my family.
I went to visit my father at home, and she came with me. Her Italian instincts kicked it, and she brought a load of groceries and a lasagna with her.
My father was a mess at the hospital, and it fell on me and my siblings to speak with the doctors and make plans.
I would get home, and pour myself some bourbon. She made me dinner, and just sat with me while I silently sobbed.
It wasn't about how great we were when things were good, it was about how perfect she was when things were bad.
I bought the ring 2 months later.
Danger0clock had a short but meaningful story.
The day she took off work to help me go through a dumpster. I had accidentally thrown my keys in the trash while cleaning out my car.
Yeah, they found the keys, but it took a couple of hours. There are plenty of other stories in the thread, and also at Metafilter.

No comments: