Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Saturday, August 16, 2008

'Least of my brothers ,,,'

Senator Barack Obama said today that the country's -- and his -- greatest moral failure has been selfishness.

"We still don't abide by that basic precept of Matthew -- whatever you do to the least of my brothers ... you do to me," Obama said.

As for himself: "I had a difficult youth ... I experimented with drugs and drank ... I trace this to a certain selfishness on my point ... I couldn't focus on other people," Obama told Pastor Rick Warren. "It's not about me."

Obama took the stage to a standing ovation at the Saddleback Civil Forum on the Presidency at Warren's church in southern California, home to nearly 20,000 members.

*****

While he was citing a christian biblical quotation the way we treat others is a basic human tenet and reflected in all religions (granted in some cases it is a bit of a stretch, especially with fundamentalists - of every stripe).
It is refreshing to see and hear a politician actually make sounds that form real words and in a coherent pattern, the fact those words are closer to the truth (all politicians 'lie', that's a given) than we have heard in many years - particularly the last eight - is a bonus.

No comments: