Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, August 23, 2013

Woman dislocated jaw trying to eat triple-decker burger

Odds and Sods
A woman dislocated her jaw in a bid to eat a giant burger at a Liverpool restaurant. Nicola Peate, 25, was taken to A&E at the Royal Liverpool hospital after being injured when attempting to tackle the triple-decker burger on a work night out. She said that while she was initially able to laugh off the pain, it became "unbearable" the following day.
Nicola, from Ormskirk, added: "I didn’t think I’d dislocated it – you don’t expect it to happen eating a burger. But I tried to eat it with a knife and fork and couldn’t. I couldn’t open my mouth fully. It felt like I had cramp in my tongue, then I started to get an ear ache and a headache. The next morning I woke up and felt really, really ill. The whole side of my head was hurting. Then it started to feel like it was in my jaw and I knew I’d dislocated it.”
An x-ray at the Royal confirmed the dislocation, and a doctor had to manipulate Nicola's jaw back into place with his thumbs. Nicola, who suffers from Ehlers Danlos syndrome, has hyper-flexible joints, which are more prone to dislocation as a result. She said: “The Royal gave me the best dislocation treatment I’ve had. Everyone was really helpful and friendly. If it happens again, I would choose to go back.”

After a second x-ray she was discharged and warned to stifle yawns and avoid opening her jaw too far over the next fortnight. Clinical director of the Royal’s Emergency Department Kathryn Clark said: "Thankfully, incidents such as this are rare but our staff are very experienced in diagnosing and correcting dislocations." She added: "If food is too large, we would recommend cutting it into more manageable chunks, particularly if you have Elhers-danlos syndrome."

No comments: