Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, July 13, 2007

Holmes On Homes


Don't know about you but I can't stand Television for the most part but right now I'd have to say one of my favorite shows is on HGTV and Discovery/Home and that is Holmes On Homes.

Mike Holmes (pictured), is the uber-contractor that comes to the rescue of homeowners taken advantage of by other less than honest contractors and from the naive, but understandable mishaps of the homeowners themselves.

His quote, "We'll make it right.", is what first drew my attention while on vacation at a B&B in Canada (he's Canadian, BTW) as the Mrs., and I channel surfed before bed one evening. I have hardly missed a show since.

This throwback (and he shouldn't have to be thought of that way, but that's for another posting), to the days of doing it right the first time and doing well and going to the point of making "right" is breath of fresh air in the world for me (being a somewhat smaller scale contractor for years myself - more of a hobby and to help out friends and neighbors - I had begun to think I was the only "Throwback" left), as so many "quick-fix" artists who don't fix anything and in fact usually make things worse are out there to "rob you blind" if you let them and you/we let them time and time again.

I highly recommend that you check the local TV schedule for Holmes On Homes and catch a few shows ... it will make you believe again. I know it's TV, but it still can be useful for more than a plant stand occasionally. O.K., rarely but still occasionally.

1 comment:

KathrynB_FSJ said...

Sheesh, I wrote up a comment before then had to sign up to Google. Now I have to re-write my comment.

Hi Nacktman, enough whining here. I like what I have seen of your blog so far. I am glad to see some Canadian content on here. When we had our hardwood installed we had some Holmesian influence. The man who was installing it was a little Frenchman from New Brunswick. He kept going around the house saying "I have to install this right. I don't want Mike Holmes to come after me." He did install it well. Sadly, we are very far from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) so will not be seeing Mike around here anytime soon.