Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, May 6, 2011

What are some things you LIKE about Americans?

Reddit asks the question  of its non-American readers.  Here are some of the answers:American_flag_background
  • The thing that stands out to me from times that I’ve visited to US is the phrase ‘Have a nice day’ and the sincerity with which Americans will say it and appear to mean it.
  • Your drive. As an Australian whose duties extend to leaving the hammock once a fortnight to grab more beer, I’m always amazed at how driven Americans are to do things. I sometimes wish I had that sort of passion for achievement.
  • Costco. Costco is amazing. I felt like Mitchell in the costco modern family episode the first time I went.
  • Imagination is an integral part of the educational system. This makes Americans IMO more interesting as adults.
  • They are charitable and often open to lending a helping hand.
  • Your breakfast items. The works with pancakes AND toast AND cornbread AND you name it. Amazing.
  • Stealth helicopters that thwart evil.
  • What do I admire most about Americans? They work hard. I know there’s the stereotype of laziness, but I think that this is inaccurate. Most Americans work their asses off, and many never complain.
  • Americans love innovation. It’s a great place to take a novel idea an run with it.
  • Americans are proud to be whoever they are, proud to be American, proud of American things. This sometimes goes too far but I wish the average Brit wasn’t so full of self loathing of themselves and their country.
  • I really like the fact that America is made up of so many cultures. If you migrate to America, you keep (and share) your old culture AND add some American. There’s no bullshit about rejecting one or the other.
  • When I was over there I noticed how easy-going, social, friendly and open people seemed to be. I like it a lot, here in Norway people seem to be much more introvert.
  • Americans contribute the biggest portion of lulz available on the internet.  
  • I like your principles, especially your interpretation/application of Voltaire’s idea that: “I don’t agree with you but I will fight for your right to say it.”
  • Most Americans are ridiculously good looking. I like that.
  • Your military is what really keeps us safe, because ours is completely irrelevant.
  • I love that you can hold such a huge amount of cultural diversity within a single national identity.
  • Can do attitude and frontier spirit, Canadians have it too but Americans are a little bit more badass (for better or worse)
  • Almost all Americans I’ve met have been really nice persons and not like those fat gun loving muslim bashing health care hating abortion-doctor-killing death penalty loving guys we see on the news every other day.
  • Your contributions towards the ongoing development of the internet, for without it, I would have to talk to real people.
  • McChickens in Boston were only $1. In Canada they’re $4.19.
The complete list

No comments: