Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Saturday, May 4, 2013

Man took 'Finders Keepers' store sign literally

A man accused of taking items from a Derry, New Hampshire store is trying to clear his name, saying that he was confused by the name of the store: Finders Keepers. Police said Ruben Pavon was shown on surveillance video taking a grill from the porch of the Finders Keepers thrift shop. "I grabbed the box," Pavon said. "It was a fire pit, something like that. It turned into a grill, and I took it home."


Pavon admitted that it wasn't the first time he had taken something from there, but he said he thought the items were free. "I just grabbed one. I thought it was there for the taking," he said. "The sign did say 'Finders Keepers.' So I took that DVD player, took it home. A couple of weeks later, the stuff is still there on the porch, so I'm thinking to myself, 'Finders Keepers. They probably just put stuff out there for people to take.'"

The store's owner, Laura Barker, said she doesn't buy Pavon's claim. "I don't know of any stores where there's free stuff," she said. "It would be nice if there were. I'd be there on a regular basis myself." Barker said Pavon could have asked to verify his assumptions. "I've never seen him in the store," she said. "He didn't appear to try and open the door to see if we were open, if anybody was there, if anyone was even there to help him load it. Because the lights were off. So I assume he knew that nobody was there."



The video also shows a child helping Pavon carry the box off the porch, police said. Pavon said he's not a bad person. "I just want to clear my name and say I'm not a bad dad," he said. "I'm the best dad in the world." Proceeds from items that are sold at Finders Keepers go to charities for children and U.S. troops. Pavon has returned what was taken. Derry police said they are still investigating, and there's no word if there will be criminal charges.

No comments: