Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Saturday, February 1, 2014

Wendy Davis’ Daughters Slam Disgusting Wingnut Attacks Against Their Mother

wendy-amber-dru-davisI think most people knew that once a powerful Texas woman (who happens to be a Democrat) decided to run for Governor of Texas, the attacks against her were going to get very ugly.  I mean this is a strong, independent woman against the repugican cabal – and repugicans don’t like strong, independent women.
Well there’s been a lot of talk here recently about an article written by the Dallas Morning News that “poked holes” in some facts about her “story.”  Basically, they nitpicked about the actual date she was divorced (she originally had claimed it happened when she was 19 but that was when she just separated – her divorce didn’t become official until she was 21) and the length of time she lived in a trailer.
You know, because those are huge issues worthy of writing a column about.  This goes along with the typical attacks she’s endured, including death threats being posted on her opponent Greg Abbott’s Facebook page, or one of the originals many wingnuts like to use by calling her “Abortion Barbie.”
Because that’s not sexist at all.
Well, apparently her daughters have had enough and they decided to speak out.
Her youngest daughter Dru said, in part:
“We lived with her the first semester, but I had severe asthma and the weather there wasn’t good for me. My parents made a decision for my sister and me to stay in Texas while my mom kept going to school. But that doesn’t mean she wasn’t there for us. She traveled back and forth all the time, missing so many classes so that she could be with us. Her friends were such a big help. Especially her third year, when she would only go to school two weeks out of the month and her friends would share class notes so she could try to keep up while she was home with us in Fort Worth.” (read the full letter here)
This was of course in response to the wingnut accusation that she abandoned her kids to attend Harvard Law School.
Her eldest daughter, Amber, also weighed in on the ridiculous conservative attacks:
“My mother had me when she was very young, a kid herself. And although she was married for a short period of time, parenthood was her sole responsibility. Yes, we lived in a trailer. Does it matter how long? Not to me. Even though some people have tried to question my own memories; I do remember the trailer, as well as the apartments that we lived in during the years that followed. I know that I was my mother’s first priority and that she wanted a better life for me than the one she was living. She worked 2 jobs and went to community college at night. She refused to repeat the life her family struggled in growing up.” (read the full letter here)
Which echoes my point of who really cares how long she lived in a trailer?  I mean honestly, is this how pathetically low repugicans are going to stoop?  Well, of course they are – because they have.
Both of Wendy Davis’ daughters basically destroyed every pathetic wingnut attack that wingnuts have tried to throw her way here recently about her personal life.  A personal life that even a fellow Texas repugican said she wouldn’t be having to endure attacks against if she were a man.  An obvious statement aimed at the fact that women face a different (and often times unfair) scrutiny compared to their male counterparts.
I just want to commend Davis’ daughters for taking a bold stance against these pathetic right-wing attacks.  Unfortunately, I’m sure their words won’t make any difference because wingnuts often believe what they want to believe instead of what’s actually real.
And the really sad part is the attacks are almost certainly going to get worse.  Which she might not completely mind considering I believe these blatant sexist attacks will galvanize support behind her and actually help her efforts to become the next Governor of Texas.

No comments: