Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Monday, August 11, 2014

Thief with a conscience sent $2 and handwritten letter of apology for taking extra piece of chicken

In his 39 years in the chicken business, it was a first for Rocky Rasmussen, owner of KFC in North Platte, Nebraska. The letter in the envelope containing $2 mailed to his restaurant was unsigned. “This $2 is for the piece of chicken I brought home with me on Tuesday,” the letter read. “That’s stealing. Sorry!”
“It seems as if her conscience got the best of her,” Rasmussen said. “There was no return address on the envelope. I really wish I knew who it was. I would buy them a few meals.” The handwriting is a bit spidery, perhaps indicating that the writer is older and probably female. “I took more on my plate than I could eat and I knew it would get thrown away there because it couldn’t get put back on the buffet, so I put it in my purse and brought it home,” the letter read.
“I do love your chicken!” Rasmussen is used to people trying to take advantage of the buffet. “People don’t pay for everyone in the family or will fill the last plate and it goes into a plastic bag in a purse,” he said. “It’s an ongoing problem.” To have someone own up to the theft demonstrated that there are good and honest people in the world, he said.
“It just makes your faith in people come back a little more,” Rasmussen said. “Whoever it was probably doesn’t have a lot of money. To send a couple bucks back to us is pretty remarkable. It’s very touching.” The writer admitted to a crisis of faith over the piece of chicken. “Anyway,” the letter reads. “God has forgiven me and I hope you will too. I will not be so quick to take so much next time.”

No comments: