Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, November 14, 2014

The wingnuts Outraged Over ‘Fortunate Son’ Show Their Ignorance Of Song’s Meaning

Wingnuts have expressed outrage over the choice to play 'Fortunate Son' at the 'Concert for Valor' on Veterans Day. It appears they have no idea what the song means…
concert for valor
On Veterans Day, HBO broadcast live from Washington, D.C.’s National Mall ‘The Concert for Valor,’ a star-studded tribute concert for the nation’s veterans. The show was capped by a performance of Credence Clearwater Revival’s classic protest song ‘Fortunate Son,’ performed by Bruce Springsteen, Dave Grohl and Zac Brown. Immediately, social media was ablaze with outrage from wingnuts who felt that the song was inappropriate for the venue due to its content. Apparently, as the song was written at the height of the Vietnam War and highlighted the class disparities in the draft, they thought it was completely anti-soldier.
Eventually, many of those who commented on Twitter about the song pointed out that not only wasn’t it anti-vet, but that the song was actually quite appropriate to play in front of veterans considering its subject matter.
Patton Oswalt         @pattonoswalt 
Yeah, dummies, they played "Fortunate Son" at the . It's pro-soldier & anti-chickenhawk. As usual, outrage over nothing.

Radley Balko         @radleybalko 
"Fortunate Son" decries warmongering politicians, but has tremendous empathy for soldiers. So actually, it's perfect. http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/anti-military-anthem-played-concert-valor_818921.html 

Eric Boehlert @EricBoehlert 
FIXED: 40+ yrs after "Fortunate Son" was written, culturally clueless (chickenhawk) wingnuts are still clueless abt message.

Radley Balko         @radleybalko
This Fortunate Son silliness is a reminder that "supporting the troops" can also mean opposing impetuous decisions to send them off to die.
However, Wednesday morning, despite the clear evidence that the song is NOT a dig at soldiers, wingnut outrage flowed deep. John Nolte at Breitbart penned a screed claiming “left-wing millionaire and welfare queen” Springsteen politicized the concert with an “anti-troop song.” Nolte stated that the song might be about how the wealthy were able to avoid service, but the song itself also mocks soldiers as “unthinking dupes.” Not sure how one can get that from the song, but its written down so it must be true.
Meanwhile, over at Faux & Friends, the hosts decided to weigh in on the ‘controversy.’ As one would expect, Doocy and Co. weren’t quite knowledgeable about the actual lyrics of the song. Co-host Anna Kooiman, filling in for Elisabeth Hasselbeck, claimed the song was “a slap in the face” to veterans. After another fill-in co-host, Clayton Morris, sort of pointed out that the lyrics really aren’t against the troops and more about class struggles, Doocy chimed in that they should have added “historical context” instead of just playing a song that everyone knows to be anti-war.
Below is video of the segment, courtesy of Raw Story:

Below are the entire lyrics of the song for reference:
Some folks are born, made to wave the flag
Ooo, their red, white and blue
And when the band plays “Hail to the Chief”
Ooo, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no senator’s son, son
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate one, no
Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand
Lord, don’t they help themselves, y’all
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yeah
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no millionaire’s son, no, no
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate one, no
Yeah, yeah
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask ‘em, “How much should we give?”
Ooh, they only answer “More! More! More!”, y’all
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no military son, son
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate one, one
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate one, no, no, no
It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no fortunate son, no, no, no

No comments: