Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Friday, March 13, 2015

Residents who moved cars from driveways at council's request then fined for parking on street

Residents of Chinbrook Road in Grove Park, south east London, are furious after Lewisham Council staff asked them to move their cars for tree maintenance - before promptly slapping them with £110 parking fines. The residents had been told to move their vehicles from private driveways to allow trees on the street to be pruned. Within one hour of moving their cars, they were given £110 parking tickets.
Kayleigh Nicholls, 26, said: "We parked round the corner as this is the only available road. Within the hour we had all received parking tickets. I have an eight-week-old baby which I had to put in the car to move it and when I found the five free spaces were full I did not deem it appropriate to drive at least half a mile from my home to find alternative parking when I was parking my car to help works on the main road take place."
Miss Nicholls was issued with two parking tickets for also moving her mother's car. She has appealed to the council, stating her car was only moved at the request of the council but this has been rejected. "I'm being penalized for doing a good deed and helping the council", she said. "I don't even blame the parking attendant for issuing the ticket but I am shocked after explaining the situation the council do not believe this to be a valid excuse and still believe we need to pay the fine.
"I did consider paying it as I was getting really stressed and worried about the implications of appealing. Having spoken to friends and family they are all equally shocked so out of principal I will continue to argue my case." A Lewisham Council spokeswoman said: "Even during maintenance works, it remains the responsibility of car owners not to park their cars in areas that are restricted. If anyone contravenes these rules they will be liable for a penalty notice."

No comments: