Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Thursday, May 7, 2015

I Asked 6 Guys To Dinner and They All Said No

by Joelle Pittman
When I started my blog, I saw myself as Carrie Bradshaw. Reality check: I'm Bridget Jones.
If a semi-attractive girl with a fun job, sparkling personality, and killer (or so I’m told) smile, asked you to be her date for a 5-course wine pairing dinner at a “fancy” restaurant, what would you say?
The answer wasn’t what I hoped…to say the least.
I was rejected by six guys for this thing. There I was, all excited to date like a man, be assertive, embrace my womanhood, thinking “what’s the worst that could happen?” Ha. Well, they could all say no. Didn’t think that one through, did ya, Joelle?
The first one (and preferred – I even had butterflies, y’all) originally said yes, and then backed out due to “work.” When I said OK, how about a rain check…he never responded. Ouch. Guess who got defriended on Facebook? Immature on my part? Perhaps – but warranted. AND I have to seem him this weekend…eek!
The second, and to be fair, I’d only met him once (he wandered into my office one random day looking like a total hottie), has a girlfriend…yikes. Embarrassing. Although I must mention he was very lovely about the whole thing.
After two ouchies, I turned to good ole Match.com. I’d been chatting with a very attractive doctor and invited him over text. He said yes, but for four days later. By then, I was already over it. I don’t play the three day rule, let alone four.
Speaking of four, I had a lovely first date that I thought went well and was excited about the possibility. He was cute, funny, attractive… but then, I never heard from him again. So while I didn’t technically ask him to the dinner, he definitely counts because he was supposed to text me about meeting up Saturday at the Food Truck Festival… and just never did. He did accept my Facebook request two weeks later, though. Awkward.
By this time, my ego was bruised and my self-confidence was shattered, so I turned to my best guy friend in the whole wide world. We dated years ago, and from time-to-time have discussed getting back together. I brought that up, about how I’d be open to a reconciliation…and lo and behold, he said no. Can’t catch a break, y’all!
And the sixth? Well, I just have to throw the sixth in, because I got dumped at the beginning of this month and it just counts. It does. Don’t argue with me. He went to this monthly dinner with me in March, so I get to be bitter about his absence in April.
People told me that when I turned thirty that my dating world would change, but I didn’t think that it would literally change the minute I turned thirty. I was quite the player in my twenties, but since I’ve turned thirty (a MONTH ago, I might add), I’ve been dumped and rejected FIVE more times in THIRTY DAYS! Thirty ain’t looking pretty, y’all.
P.S. I just tagged this post with “spinster.”

No comments: