Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Saturday, June 6, 2015

Judge ordered taxi fare jumper to walk 30 miles

Judge Michael Cicconetti from Lake County, Ohio, gave a teenager an unusual sentence for not paying a taxi driver. Victora Bascom spent Friday afternoon at the Lake County Fairgrounds completing the sentence.
Bascom had been sentenced to walk 30 miles after she and a friend stiffed a cab driver on a ride from Cleveland to Painesville, a journey of 30 miles. "Poor guy, they're mostly on contract so he's out 100 bucks," Cicconetti said.
While in court, Cicconetti allowed Bascom to choose her sentencing: 30 days in jail or walk 30 miles in 48 hours while wearing a GPS tracker. Bascom chose the 30 miles. "I've never been to jail and I don't want to go to jail," Bascom said. While the 19-year-old was completing her sentence, Judge Cicconetti stopped by the fairgrounds.

"At that pace, it's going to take most of the 48 hours," the judge said with a chuckle. Bascom wasn't thrilled about the punishment. "I'm kind of upset about this sentence. I was thinking I was just going to have to go in and pay a fine. It's only $100, but I almost ended up getting jail time, so I guess I'm kinda lucky he gave me this option," Bascom said. While at the scene Judge Cicconetti also reduced the sentence to 20 miles.
You can see video of Judge Cicconetti sentencing Ms Bascom here.

No comments: