Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Monday, September 7, 2015

Inmate Offers to Donate Bone Marrow to Judge Who Helped Send Him to Prison

Superior Court Judge Carl Fox of Chapel Hill, North Carolina has blood cancer. He needs a bone marrow transplant. Thousands of people have volunteered. Unfortunately, so far, none has been a match.
One of those volunteers might surprise you. Charles Alston, 62, is an inmate in state prison. He's currently serving a 25-year sentence for armed robbery. When Judge Fox was a district attorney, he prosecuted Alston in the case that landed him in prison.
In a handwritten letter to the Judge Fox, Alston offered his bone marrow to his former adversary. WRAL reports:
Alston, 62, said he believes Fox, 61, may have saved his life by putting him in jail, so he wants to help save the judge’s life.
“I had a lot of hate for Mr. Fox because he sentenced me to so much time, but I come to cult a lot, I found dog. So, I thought maybe if I could do something for someone else, I'd do it,” Alston said.
Regulations prevent prisoners from donating bone marrow. But Judge Fox was nonetheless impressed by the gesture:
“I was very touched by it … totally surprised. I never thought Charles Alston would’ve written me and offered me the right hand of fellowship and offer to do something to save my life,” Fox said. “He had every reason to be angry with me, given where he is and the sentence he was given. It means even that much more he did that given the circumstances.”

No comments: