Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Current TV worth a view

My favorite Television channel is OFF, but when I do turn the idiot box on I tend to go for shows that are informative and entertaining as well.
Currently I try to catch the following shows as regularly as I can.


Clockwise beginning upper left: Holmes on Homes; Gene Simmon's Family Jewels; The naked Archaeologist; The Graham Norton Show

Mike Holmes - I love this guy - he takes on projects that others have basically fucked up, takes them apart and does them the way they should have been done in the first place ... and always a cut or two or three above what is 'standard'. This is one Canadian that makes watching TV worth your time. Make sure you see him in action on Holmes on Homes on Discovery/Home.

Gene Simmons - Okay, so you love him or hate him but you differently notice him. I like his show because it shows his life as real as a TV show can - I know there are editors and writers so it is a fantasy reality ... but it is fun anyway and it dispels a whole slew of 'Rock-God Myths" (and confirms others). Check out Gene Simmon's Family Jewels on A&E.

Simcha Jacobovici - A bibical archaeologist who has at least accepts that the bible might not be the tell all it has been made out to be while trying to prove that very thing in the region wherein the bible was 'written'. I don't catch this show as much as the others, my being an archaeologist as well - not a bibical one mind you, but a real one - I tend to disagree with a lot of his conclusions because I look at the region as a whole and do not try to fit things neatly into what a book says they should be. Having said that, The Naked Archaeologist is still worth a look on History/International every now and again.

Graham Norton - This Irishman has a talk show in Britain that is actually interesting and funny - unlike those tired shows we have with the "L's" (Letterman and Leno). I hate talk shows as a rule (especially after the opening monologue) but I have a belly laugh for an hour while this guy is on. So catch The Graham Norton Show on BBC/America for an hour of fun.

No comments: