Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Woman hospitalized after being peed on and bitten in flying fox attack

A woman in Australia's Northern Territory has been hospitalized after a freak bat attack. Debbie “Hammie” Riley, 55, had just returned to her donga near Roper River when a bat flew straight at her and latched on to her leg.
“I heard something drop on the roof and the next thing I know there was a bat just aiming for me through the sky and he just bit on to me,” Ms Riley said. “It’s wings were flapping and he peed all over me and when I looked down all I could see were its eyes. I grabbed its wing and yanked it off.”
Director of flora and fauna at the Department of Lands resources management Alaric Fisher said neither he, nor anyone in his team had heard of such an aggressive attack before. “It’s virtually unheard of. All I can think of is that it was startled and accidentally ran into her and latched on. The main issue, particularly with flying foxes, is they can potentially carry dangerous diseases.”

Ms Riley received treatment for tetanus, rabies and lyssavirus after the August 19 incident, which included painful injections directly into the wounds on her leg and fingers. “I just want people to be aware of what to do. Wash the wound for five minutes and then apply antiseptic and get medical treatment as soon as possible,” she said. “Even if it’s the tiniest bite, if it draws blood it needs attention. These disgusting things carry lyssavirus and rabies it also affects you mentally. People should be aware.”

No comments: