Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Republican Tells Me Why She Hates President Obama, And All I Can Do Is Shake My Head

by Allen Clifton
Being that I’m in Texas, most of the people I encounter are Republicans. And believe me when I say that telling a wingnut that I’m a progressive is probably less popular than if I had just told them I was a drug kingpin who primarily focuses on selling crystal meth.
So, needless to say, I try to avoid discussing politics much of the time.
However, there are times where I get baited into doing it, which is what happened last night. A buddy of mine had invited me and a couple of other friends into a group chat to discuss a few things. Well, after a little back and forth amongst the group one of his friends started chatting with me directly, eventually asking me the dreaded question, “What do you do?” Well, I proceeded to give my usual answers, prompting her to simply ask, “So, are you for or against Obama?” At that time I informed her that I try to avoid political discussions because often people are filled with misinformation and if I try to correct anything that they want to believe, they usually just get very upset.
But I did ask her if she was for or against the president. She saw my question as a bit hypocritical since I didn’t answer hers, to which I responded by telling her that it’s just my morbid curiosity to know what “side” some people are on and what information they’ve used to come to that conclusion.
“I hate President Obama. Completely against him,” she said.
This prompted me to simply ask, “Why?”
Upon reading her answer, I instantly regretted my decision to venture into this discussion.
Here was her answer:
I think Obama is a lazy horrible excuse for a president. He’s playing golf while our citizens are being killed..he holds a press conference for some thug who got shot Bc he assaulted a police officer, yet I don’t see any press conference about Christians being slaughtered, or Jews being killed for anti-Semitic reasons. He’s a schmuck and the ONLY reason that he was elected the first time was bc he’s black, and either black people voted for him or white people didn’t wanna seem racist. And the reason he’s still president is bc of voter fraud. I’d LOVE to see them require id’s for votes, bc I guarantee he wouldn’t still be around.
Sadly, this is what I deal with practically on a daily basis. It’s no wonder these people hate President Obama; look at the utter and total bullshit (excuse my language) that they believe. Here this person was, basing her entire opinion on the president completely off of nothing but pure wingnut propaganda. And the thing is, outside of him being a golfer and making comments about the Mike Brown shooting (mostly in response to the protests that had broken out following the incident), nothing she said was true.
Did she just make all of this up? No. This is the kind of crap that the wingnut media pushes every single day. “Information” that’s literally just pulled out of thin air.
Take her comments about voter fraud, which are completely baseless. Between 2000 and 2010, out of 649 million votes, there were thirteen cases of legitimate voter fraud found. That’s barely one per year. Yet this individual would swear right to your face that the only reason President Obama was re-elected was because of rampant voter fraud.
Then there’s the issue with him not holding a press conference about the killing of christians and jews by ISIL. Then, tell me, what are all these press conferences he’s held concerning ISIS for the past year? And she’s clearly not aware that ISIL isn’t just targeting non-muslims, they’re slaughtering other muslims every single day as well. Then again, you rarely see Faux News talk about that so it’s not surprising that she knows nothing about it.
Needless to say, I proceeded to embarrass her by pointing out several facts that debunked her nonsense – which prompted her to tell me I was an idiot and instantly block me. I really shouldn’t have even bothered. With someone who is that far gone, I would probably have had more luck trying to reason with a brick wall.
But it does go to show you just how blatantly inaccurate the information is that the wingnut media pushes all the time. Because while her answer was slightly more ridiculous than most of the ones I get, it still wasn’t that far off from the average response I get from the typical wingnt when the president’s name is brought up.
And the truth is, I’m fine with people not agreeing with President Obama. All I ask is that their opposition to him be based on facts rather than fiction – which, sadly, is usually not the case. That fact was perfectly demonstrated by this woman’s absolutely ridiculous reasoning why she dislikes our president.

No comments: