Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Sunday, February 15, 2015

Home-schooled and illiterate

The religio-wingnuts call it the "responsible" choice, but for some kids it means isolation with little education .
In recent weeks, home schooling has received nationwide attention because of repugican pretender candidate Rick Santorum's home-schooling family. Though Santorum paints a rosy picture of home schooling in the United States, and calls attention to the "responsibility" all parents have to take their children's education into their own hands, he fails to acknowledge the very real potential for educational neglect among some home-schooling families - neglect that has been taking place for decades, and continues to this day.
While the practice of home schooling is new to many people, my own interest in it was sparked nearly 20 years ago. I was a socially awkward adolescent with a chaotic family life, and became close to a wingnut christian home-schooling family that seemed perfect in every way. Through my connection to this family, I was introduced to a whole world of wingnut christian home-schoolers, some of whom we would now consider "Quiverfull" families: home-schooling wingnuts who eschew any form of family planning and choose instead to "trust dog" with matters related to procreation.
Though I fell out of touch with my home-schooled friends as we grew older, a few years ago, I reconnected with a few ex-Quiverfull peers on a new support blog called No Longer Quivering. Poring over their stories, I was shocked to find so many tales of gross educational neglect. I don't merely mean that they had received what I now view as an overly politicized education with huge gaps, for example, in American history, evolution or sexuality. Rather, what disturbed me were the many stories about home-schoolers who were barely literate when they graduated, or whose math and science education had never extended much past middle school.

No comments: