Welcome to ...

The place where the world comes together in honesty and mirth.
Windmills Tilted, Scared Cows Butchered, Lies Skewered on the Lance of Reality ... or something to that effect.


Saturday, June 17, 2017

Mammoth Tusk Hunt in Siberia

Photographer Amos Chapple works for Radio Free Europe. He went on an illegal tusk hunt in Siberia with the agreement to not share any names. See, the idea is that ivory from mammoth tusks are "ethical" in that no animals are killed to obtain it. That does not make the plundering of mammoth remains legal. But the market for such ivory in China is too much to resist. In posting the album of images to reddit, Chapple said, "Every summer, men head into the Siberian wilderness to hunt for mammoth tusks, I joined one expedition & watched tuskers get rich, get drunk & nearly die." When someone remarked on the photo of the mosquitoes biting bare feet, he said,
That's me :). I needed to show how big a deal the mozzies were, that was the most effective way I could do it in a photo.
I fell in the river. When I took one shoe off to squeegee my sock the mozzies descended - then I realized it was a good photo so I took the other shoe off, waited for 40 hellish seconds & took this pic.
The things a photographer will go through for the right image! You can read the extensive story of the expedition here, or a shorter form in an imgur album

No comments: